Sunday 19 October 2008

Sunday 19th October



Where did the summer go? I took a stroll down to the beach last Monday evening and had a look in the rock pools at low water. The beach has changed dramatically since I was a kid. I am 51 years old. When I was young, the low water marks where full of whelks and in the sandy areas there were plenty of cockles to be gathered. Now, the whelks have all but gone and you are lucky to find a handful of cockles. Is this because we now treat the sewage and have a blue flag beach? The one creature that is in abundance is the oyster. These oysters are the rocky or pacific kind although you can find the odd native oyster. Again, there were no oysters here when I was younger. I wonder what I will find next time I venture down to the low tide!

No comments: